Health & Social Care
Examination Board: Pearson Edexcel
Exact Course Title: BTEC Level 1 / 2 Tech Award in Health & Social Care
Why should I choose to study Health and Social Care?
The Edexcel BTEC Level 1/Level 2 Tech Award in Health and Social Care has been developed to provide an engaging introduction to the healthcare sector for learners aged 14 years and above. It has been designed primarily for young people aged 14 to 19 who may wish to explore a vocational route throughout Key Stage 4, but it is also suitable for other learners who want a vocationally focused introduction to this area of study.
What will I learn?
A range of topics will be covered including:
- Human growth and development
- How people deal with major life events
- Health and social care services
- A practical demonstration of health and Social Care Values
- Factors that can impact and improve an individual’s health and wellbeing.
What will be expected of me?
You will be expected to complete a written exam and three units of coursework. During lessons tasks will mostly be written but there are also practical tasks such as role-play throughout the course. Full participation will be expected. Research skills will be needed when completing coursework and an ability to meet deadlines and keep organised with all written work.
What skills will I develop?
- applying knowledge and understanding in vocational and realistic contexts
- developing and applying practical and technical skills
- acting with increasing independence to select and apply skills through processes and with effective use of resources
- achieve, explain and review the success of intended outcomes
- developing skills for work through management of self and working in a team
How will I be assessed?
Units one and two are coursework based and worth 60%, marked internally by the assessor/teacher and moderated by Edexcel. Unit 3 is worth 40% and is an externally assessed exam marked by Edexcel which can be taken twice in the final year of the course.
Where will this qualification lead me?
Achievement at Level 2 provides a suitable foundation for further study within the sector, supporting progression on to other vocational qualifications at Level 3, such as the BTEC Level 3 Nationals in Health and Social Care.